How do I Sleep Well | 如何能睡得好
Sleep problems are highly preventable. A series of behavioural practices and environmental factors can help to promote good sleep. These behavioural practices have been extensively researched and supported by empirical evidence. These recommended practices and habits are known as sleep hygiene.
Here are some tips for good sleep hygiene practices:
Tips 1: Keep a regular sleep-wake pattern throughout the week.
- In our busy society, it is extremely common for people to have a lie-in during the weekends wishing to “catch up” on some sleep. This often inevitability leads to staying up late that evening. These sleeping irregularities create a vicious cycle. Instead, try to keep a regular sleeping schedule, which helps to set a stable internal body clock, and thus promoting better sleep.
Tips 2: Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol before bedtime.
- Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants that make it harder for us to fall asleep and reduce the occurrence of deep sleep. Alcohol might make you feel sleepy initially, but it heavily disrupts your deep sleep and worsen your sleep quality.
Tips 3: Avoid large meals before bedtime.
- Eating large meals before bed may cause indigestion and discomfort when sleeping. It is also more difficult for us to fall asleep while the body is busy digesting.
Tips 4: Keep your bedroom sleep-friendly: quiet, dark, relaxing, not too hot, not too cold.
- Creating a comfortable sleeping environment is crucial for a night of good sleep. Noise, light, and undesirable temperature could cause difficulty in falling asleep and mid-sleep awakenings.
Tips 5: Use the bed only for sleep and sex, but not others.
- Our brain creates a mental association between our environment and our actions. This mental association between the bed and sleeping weakens when we do things other than sleeping, such as watching TV or using your smartphone, in bed. The weaken association makes it harder for us to fall asleep in bed.
Tips 6: Take some time to wind down your mind and body before sleep – routinely set aside a time to do something relaxing and enjoyable.
- A winding down routine is not only relaxing, but it also reminds our body and brain that “it’s time for bed yo!”. You can listen to soft music, stretch a little, and do some relaxation breathing exercises.
Tips 7: Limit your use of electronic devices before bedtime, such as smartphones, laptops, TVs.
- Electronic devices stimulate our brain, making it very active, which is not good when we try to relax and sleep. Also, the light emitted from these devices may send a false signal to our internal biological clock that it is still daytime, reducing our desire to sleep.
Tips 8: Ensure adequate exposure to natural light during the day.
- Our sleep is partly governed by our internal biological clock, which is mostly regulated by light. Natural light is the most effective regulator. Expose yourself to daylight helps to keep our body clock in tune.
Tips 9: Avoid daytime napping.
- It is tempting to take a relaxing nap, but napping makes it harder for us to fall asleep at night. Besides, napping, especially long naps (over 30 minutes) would actually do more harm than good in terms of our cognitive function.
5: 只將床用於睡眠和性愛，而不進行其他活動（例如，看電視，使用智能手機或 其他電子設備）
How to help my kid to sleep well | 如何幫助我的孩子睡個好覺
Kids look so cute and peaceful when they sleep. Their little brains are working very hard to build and repair. Growth hormones are at peaks during sleep. A good night of sleep is, therefore, especially important to kids.
Here are some Dos and Don’ts on helping your kids to sleep well:
Dos 1: Create a nice relaxing sleeping environment
- Kids sleep best when the environment is peaceful and relaxing. Make sure that the room is dark, quiet, and of a comfortable temperature.
Dos 2: Build a wind-down routine with them
- Use around 30-90 minutes before sleep to help your kids relax. You can play some soft music or read them a bedtime story. This can also be a good bonding opportunity for you and your children.
Dos 3: Use natural light to wake them up
- Rise and shine!! Natural sunlight can help your kids wake up and feeling refreshed. It also tells their brain that it is daytime, it helps to regulate their body clock.
Don'ts 1: Let them use electronic devices before sleep
- The light emitted by electronic devices can reduce the level of melatonin (a sleep hormone) released, making your kids less sleepy. Video games or other graphic stimulations also make the brain too active for sleep at night.
Don'ts 2: Exercise before bedtime
- It is beneficial for kids to do some exercise during the day but exercising near bedtime can be too exciting and stimulating for their brain.
宜 1: 營造良好、放鬆的睡眠環境
宜 2: 與他們一起制定睡前放鬆活動
宜 3: 利用自然光喚醒它們
不宜 1: 讓他們在睡前使用電子器材
不宜 2: 睡前做劇烈運動